Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] build-system for glas

From: Douglas Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-05 09:30:41

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 11:52 +0100, Georg Baum wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2007 16:09 schrieb Toon Knapen:
> > I'm wondering what build-system we should use for building the tests of
> > glas.
> >
> > Currently we are using bjam. Bjam is multi-platform and has integrated
> > support for regression testing. Drawback is that bjam has a rather steep
> > learning curve.
> >
> > An other option would be to use makefile's (on posix) and visual studio
> > solution files on windows. This means however that we will have to sync
> > 2 build systems and that we have no integrated support for regression
> > testing.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> Syncing two build systems is only asking for trouble. Both scons and cmake
> seem to be suitable, but the learning curve is still considerable IMHO. If
> the learning curve is the only reason for switching I would probably not
> do it, but rather document the jam files well.

With "bjam", are you currently using Boost Build version 1? I ask
because with the next release, Boost is moving to Boost Build version 2,
which is very, very different from version 1... almost to the point of
being a completely new build system.

So, the learning curve might remain even if you keep using bjam.

  Cheers,
  Doug