Boost logo

Glas :

[glas] arrays and views

From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-15 07:11:05

I hope you'll excuse a naive question. There are a number of c++ array-type
libraries. For example, boost::ublas. It seems to me that the distinction
between an array vs. an array slice leads to significant complexity in the
design.

I think the design could be much simpler. There are only 2 objects: storage,
and views of storage. As long as storage is managed, e.g.: reference
counted, there is no need to make a distinction between various types of
views.

A view then specifies any number of dimensions, slicing, basing, and holds a
(e.g.) shared_pointer to storage.

Any thoughts?