Boost logo

Glas :

Re: [glas] Reference counting?

From: Karl Meerbergen (Karl.Meerbergen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-10-12 11:08:29

Dear List,

I would like to continue this discussion since it may lead to a
significant change in the development of the library.

I see several situations, where containers could be destroyed before the
view. So, a reference count is indeed useful.

One of my previous colleagues needed fixed size vectors of small size
for a finite element code. He refused to use ublas vectors because the
storage of the size created extra memory overhead.

Do you see (other) situations where the storage of a reference could
create overhead?

As for smart pointers, we can have different views. A view could take
ownership of the container (as for an auto_ptr, e.g.). The reference
count would not be needed and this would make people happy who use small
vectors.

More important, I think, is the issue about the assignment operator and
the copy constructor.

Currently, the copy constructor makes a shallow copy for all views and
expression objects, while the assignment operator is a deep copy. This
looks like a conflicting situation. UBlas does the same I think. What
about MTL?

I am not very keen on giving up the deep copy concept of w = v. Does
anyone have an interesting idea?

Best,

Karl