Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Ian McCulloch (ianmcc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-14 18:57:22

christopher diggins wrote:

> [...]

I don't think the tradeoff's work that way. Whether aliases appear in an
expression depends purely on how the user writes it, the question is
whether the library gets the correct answer or not. The choices are:
always make a copy of the right-hand-side before assigning to the
left-hand-side. This will always give the correct answer, but at a
performance cost. This is the way uBLAS works. OR never make a copy of
the right-hand-side and require the user to handle potential aliasing
issues. In both cases, the default can be overridden - in the former by
providing an alternate syntax to perform the operation with a noalias
assumption, and in the latter by choosing a different algorithm (eg, to
copy backwards instead of forwards) or making an explicit copy.

In one case, the default operation is slow and safe. In the other, the
default operation is fast and dangerous. None of the choices is both
unsafe and with a performance penalty.

Cheers,
Ian