Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Michael Stevens (mail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-16 11:19:52

On Thursday, 13. October 2005 16:37, Shawn D. Pautz wrote:
> Is operator /= required for the Vector and Matrix concepts? I don't see
> it listed in the descriptions of Vector Expression or Matrix Expression
> (operator *= does appear). However, in the "Overview of Matrix and
> Vector Operations"
> (http://boost.org/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/operations_overview.htm) it
> lists both *= and /= as valid operations. Is that perhaps restricted to
> just the ublas classes?

Interesting question.

I don't believe that any of X= operators really need to be defined in the
Vector or Matrix concepts. Conceptually they are just algorithms that operate
on the containers via indexing or interators.
Because of the operator syntax they are implemented as member functions in
models of the Concept. To me this seems to be an implementation detail rather
then fundemental.

That said the fact the *= is in the concept but /= needs to be fixed.

My feeling would be to *= from the concept and document both as operations
elsewhere. Or would it be better to simply add /= to the concepts?

Michael

--
Michael Stevens Systems Engineering