Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Gunter Winkler (guwi17_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-07 14:14:05

Hello,
> hi Gunter,
> thank you for your response. But, your mail is a bit technical for me and I want
> some explanations.
> At first, what do you mean by "you have no way to (externally) allocate
> storage." ? because I don't understand the difference between what you called
> "internal storage" and the external one.
> Regards.
I'll try to explain the two models:

internal storage: the ublas container is responsible for allocation
(resizing, freeing) the storage for its data. This is usually done via
the interface of unbounded_array and bounded_array. The container has
the full control over its memory usage.

external storage: a preallocated chunk of memory is given to the
container at time of construction. The container is not able to resize,
reallocate or free the storage because the memory is completely
decoupled. This essentially prevents deep copies of the container.
However, it is possible to copy the content to other container types (or
other container with their own preallocated storage).

HTH
Gunter

PS: please modify the topic when you reply to a digest.