Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Michael Stevens (mail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-27 15:13:52

On Sunday 27 May 2007 10:43, John Maddock wrote:
> Janek Kozicki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to bring to your attention this thread on boost mailing list:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/22q9m5
> >
> > especially the conclusion:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/28whrc
> >

> > I'm sorry for bringing you the irritating news :/

Indeed I was looking at this too.

> Has anyone ever been in contact with Joerg Walter or Mathias Koch? I've
> tried to contact them in the past about the ublas license but have never
> had a reply :-(
>
> Many thanks, John Maddock.

Joerg was contactable up to last year by phone. Email however landed bit
bucket. He was always very non committal as to a change to a BGL license. I
assume a change would require Mathias' agreement. I not sure who Mathias is
or if Joerg was still in contact with him. Basically the orignal authors do
not seem to be interested in a license change.

We would have to accept that if uBLAS's license becomes unacceptable to the
Boost community then uBLAS would have to move. The change to BSL has been
around for a long time after all and the BSL is a good thing.

Maybe there would be a gentler solution then Dave's suggested 'ripping out'. I
think a single license for all of Boost is very helpful to users. So the
change would have to make the license status very clear. Some kind
of 'historical', 'aberrant license' status maybe?

Thanks,
        Michael

P.S.
        I have cross posted most of the contents as a reply in the lists.boost.org
thread.

--
Michael Stevens Systems Engineering