Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-28 10:57:18

> I do not recall discussions on the functions you want to use. Someone
can confirm this?

I can confirm this. But the discussions can certainly only start after
the request has been made, because lapack contains more than 1000
different functions.

> Maybe we should change the phrase "on request" in the paper.
> Since this is an open source project and contributions from the
> community are highly appreciated.

I think the phrase communicates at least the problem that there are too
many different functions to provide bindings for all of them. So the
best way to start in case a required binding is missing seems to be to
make a request to the ublas mailing list.

> > Currently I need to calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors
> > of an upper Hessenberg matrix. This can be accomplished with the
> > following functions
> >
> > HSEQR
> > HSEIN
> > TREVC

A Hessenberg matrix would be a special case of a banded matrix. However,
lapack has no function GBEV (for whatever reasons), so the request seems
reasonable to me. A binding for TREVC should already exist.

I would not object if Jeremy wants to implement the missing bindings
himself, but I certainly want to encourage him to use the bindings
library. So I would be willing to implement the requested bindings.

Regards,
Thomas