Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Nuno Sucena Almeida (slug_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-16 12:31:05

Hi,
        I subscribe the boost ublas ML for a long time and recently I came across
your new boost bindings snapshot, with all the patches and such. I use the
bindings on a regular basis, so having everything put together at one place
is really convenient, thank you :)
        I'm a gentoo user and so I created a simple .ebuild to allow the seamless
installation of your snapshot into my computer. Unfortunately it wouldn't
work correctly since the provided 'configure' script does not adhere to the
regular autotools parameters that the ebuild requires, so I created the
needed scripts for automake, autoconf,etc and pointed by .ebuild to used
them. You can find the 'new' package snapshot at
        http://aeminium.org/slug/software/gentoo/boost-numeric-bindings/

        In there I created all the files to easily use the bindings, which will
normally get installed at /usr/include/boost-numeric-bindings along with
the .pc file for pkg-config at /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ .
        Within a user software configure.ac, he can call the pkg-config to directly
obtain the include flag which will allow him to use a regular #include
<boost/numeric/...> :

        dnl Check for Boost C++ Numeric bindings
        PKG_CHECK_MODULES(libBoost_NB, boost-numeric-bindings >= 20080610 ,
        [ (etc)

        I'm not sure if it would be easier to use bjam to create a better 'configure'
script, what do you say?
        I also recommend to change the package name to boost-numeric-bindings,
instead of just boost-bindings. One thing I could also do, if you prefer to
keep the bjam file, would be to create a patch with the autotools files that
could be applied to your package.
        I also didn't put the documentation into the installation process, but it can
be added easily later on.
        Another important issue is related to missing 'inline' keywords from the
        umfpack_overloads.hpp file, reported long ago by Anton Kuut:

        http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.ublas/2418/match=umfpack

                regards,
                                Nuno

--