Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] How to compute determinant?
From: Andreas Klöckner (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-11 16:07:16

On Donnerstag 11 September 2008, Maik Beckmann wrote:
> 2008/9/9 Joe Gottman <jgottman_at_[hidden]>:
> > Why don't we have methods to compute the determinant and trace of a
> > matrix in uBlas?
> >
> > Joe Gottman
>
> I guess because this is not part of BLAS1/2/3.

Neither is LU factorization. I'd argue that since we actually include LU, it
would make sense to also include *a few* *important* linear algebra things
that can be implemented using LU with not much effort. For example, det, inv,
and a linear solve driver.

Any serious user of these things should be driven towards LAPACK and the
bindings, but for quick, one-off stuff, the built-in versions should be just
fine.

Opinions?

Andreas