Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] [bindings][lapack] Interface design
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-04 13:29:07

Hi Jesse,

Jesse Perla wrote:
> Plus is it reasonable to think that people will layer ublas,
> ublas bindings, GLAS, and an underlying LAPACK to get basic
> linear algebra operations done?  Sounds like a lot of moving
> pieces for most people, certainly including me.

The bindings library is not called ublas bindings, but numeric bindings. So you are not forced to layer GLAS on top of bindings + ublas, but you should be able to directly use bindings + GLAS.

> > > Last, is there any way you can throw an exception if the matrix traits
> > > doesn't have fortran column-major ordering in the bindings for LAPACK?
> >
> > I think it would be better to prevent your code from even compiling.
> > At least some bindings have such compile time checks, so it should
> > be easy to add the missing checks consistently to all bindings.
>
> Yes, far better of course.  And I think this one is really worth implementing sooner rather than later.

Point noted.

> As a last question, with the current implementaiton is there a standard way to
> search to see if a lapack funciton is implemented given its fortran LAPACK name?
> Is there a single source file or approach to get at this?

You could look in lapack_names.h or lapack.h, but I admit that a real docu or wiki might be preferable.

Regards,
Thomas