Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Is there a special reason to use inline before templatefunctions?
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-08 10:37:43

Gunther Winkler wrote:
> Do you have any concerns that too many "inlines" might reduce
> performance? If you identify such methods then we can simply remove
the
> inline qualifier.

No, I don't think that too many "inlines" will reduce performance. I
think current compilers will simply ignore these additional inline
keywords, unless special compiler options are used. I was just noticing
that the numeric-bindings library wasn't very consistent about using
inline for template functions, and even used the macro
BOOST_UBLAS_INLINE in some headers related to ublas. So I thought it
might be a good idea to remove these "unclear" inline keywords from the
numeric-bindings library. But then I thought it might be an even better
idea to first understand why these strange "inline" keywords are there,
before removing them.

Regards,
Thomas