Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] [bindings] matrix traits
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-19 05:49:18

Karl Meerbergen wrote:
> Hi Rutger,
>
> I do not think this is possible. In some cases a row_major matrix is
> interpreted as a transpose column_major matrix.
> Why would you need this for LAPACK bindings?
>
> Best,
>
> Karl

I was actually looking for what additional traits might be included into the
auto-generated bindings. I've added uplo (see, e.g., heevx attached). In
case of gels (see other attachment), it has the option to work on a
transposed matrix A. I think because of what you're saying that we could
choose for something like

lapack::solve( A, ... )
lapack::solve( trans( A ), ... )

and keep the trans argument in gels, and pass the right parameter to it. In
other words, 'trans' is not determined by traits in gels itself, but
outside of gels.

As a sidenote, is it correct that with the current bindings, user-defined
workspaces are not asserted for their minimal sizes? I would like to
include these asserts, that's why would like to introduce separate
functions for the minimal sizes of all work arrays.

Cheers,

Rutger