Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] How to solve systems of linear equations?
From: Tim Odenthal (Tim.Odenthal_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-09 15:26:39

> I've started using boost::ublas but unfortunately it has been a bumpy ride. I
> intend to use this library to solve systems of linear equations but it appears
> that there isn't any documentation on lu.hpp (that header is only mentioned in
> a test case) and google shows that the documentation doesn't even mention
> lu_factorize anywhere[?]. To make things a bit harder, the ublas code has
> practically zero comments.
>
> So, what am I missing? How is boost::ublas used to solve systems of linear
> equations?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Rui Maciel
Being new to ublas (and boost) myself, I asked a similar question a few
weeks ago on the boost-users list - and I got the following answer:

> You could give the MUMPS part of Boost.Numeric_bindings a shot. For Mumps,
> see here http://mumps.enseeiht.fr/. For the "stable" numeric_bindings, see
> here http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1/ Support
> for MUMPS in the development version of the bindings is expected within a
> fortnight.
> [...]
> HtH,
> Cheers,
>
> Rutger
In the meantime, I implemented a highly specialized version of a
ConjugateGradient solver myself, since this seemed easier than to adapt
our code to use ublas::vectors/matrices everywhere - we use special
vectors...

I agree, documentation doesn't seem to be the strong side of ublas, so
maybe you find the following pages interesting - if you haven't found
them already:

http://www.guwi17.de/ublas/matrix_sparse_usage.html
http://www.guwi17.de/ublas/examples/

All the best