Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] New uBLAS maintainer
From: Nasos Iliopoulos (nasos_i_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-15 08:50:03

Gutner has done a great job over the past years and I find great relief in the fact that somebody can spend some of his (understandably hard to find) time into the continuation of this great project.
Thank you for the taking all the future load, that based on your plan may turn out to be pretty heavy :).

Some discussion on the project ideas:

1. Optimal (or near optimal) Sub matrix read/write access through an elaborate interface will be great. All of who have worked with numpy or matlab can understand how clean code can be with such a feature.

2. Basic implementations are necessary in an extension framework, especially for the newcomers. Bindings are the way to go though for more demanding applications. (I cannot imagine rewriting a solver like MUMMPS or PARDISO in uBlas).

3. Gpu part: Reference enabled Abstract Syntax Trees (the static template meta-programming trees that are created by ublas to evaluate expressions) are not a well candidate for GPU implementations. Furthermore I find that the computational gain in algebra (even for dual TESLAs) is no that dramatic compared to an i7 system running MKL (for double precision arithmetic). I suppose this will change with FERMI architecture (projections show a 50x increase over current CPU in double precision). Finally since openCL is not yet well supported (only Apple has a decent implementation), it is difficult at this point of time to provide a good design. Time is coming that all those will be available though!

4. I would vote for prod(A,B) and probably for an element wise product function as well (ew_prod or similar). I think tweaking the current product implementation to deal with some cache locality issues will provide an optimum result (it is already close to but not there yet, depending on row and column majority of the matrices involved). In addition see (8) below.

5. Totally agree

6. I also find important that some tutorials or implementation examples are gathered in a single resource.

A few more items (Some may be quite laborious):

7. An interface for parallel processing (or some examples of how people are using parallel processing with uBlas).

8. SSE instructions (this is hard and may need to change some of the uBLAS back-bone, since the current refed ASTs implementation does not cooperate well with meta-programming type vectorization).

9. Fixed size vectors and matrices ( I have an alpha implementation, but I was stuck in the need to change some of the uBlas inner workings to make this optimal).

10. Matrix and vector views (following STL's range concept) in the spirit of Generic Image Library views (Gutner has started working on something like that).

11. Adaption of boost.assign for filling ublas containers.

Best Regards
Nasos