Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Does uBLAS work with dd_real and qd_real ?
From: Nasos Iliopoulos (nasos_i_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 17:23:08

Paul,
you have some very interesting points here. Let me express my view also.

I don't think that all types that can be possibly represented in ublas include zero as an element Zero is more or less an arbitrary choice (which is fine if it is in a standard), but I don't think it should be adopted in a generic library. The underlying types' default constructor should be responsible for the default initialization. uBlas can only define a standard behaviour, and the less number of assumptions it makes the better.

Furthermore, since the standard requires POD number types (double, float ints etc.) to be zero-initialized when default constructed, why shouldn't this be adopted by other number types that include zero in their set definition?

My only scepticism with intialization in default construction relates to performance issues when creating large arrays or many small ones. Of course there is a simple work-around: create a custom-allocator that does not execute default initialization for POD types when you want construction performance.

It would be interesting to hear what other people think.

Best
Nasos