Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Question on ublas performance (resending as subscriber).
From: Andrea Cassioli (cassioliandre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-21 06:38:27

Hi,
I completely agree that uBlas suffers from a serious lack of
documentation, also in the most stable part (as for instance matrix or
vector concept). Indeed, I do think the very first step in improving
uBlas would be a complete documentation revision, otherwise people
will never become frequent users.

For what concern the sparse matrix usage and performance problem, I
have experienced a similar one: I need to compute simple matrix-vector
products, namely some quadratic form xQx, where Q could be either a
dense one or a very sparse one (even a diagonal matrix). Being a very
crucial step in my algorithm, I decided to use the axpy function,
which is supposed to be quite efficient, for it provides compress
matrix specialization.

Well the result was quite disappointing. The axpy specialization for
compressed matrix, though much faster than using a normal matrix, is
still very slow. Looking at the code, I got the impression it is quite
complicate and difficult for a compiler to be optimized. The sparse
matrix representation is in fact based on a vector of vectors which
need to be iterated and each row be checked. Such nested loop seems to
ba the bottleneck. Why not to use a standard pattern based
representation, i.e. the usual (row,col,value) representation,
possibly in contiguous array?

Andrea