Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] matrix_row fails with symmetric matrix
From: Andrea Cassioli (cassioliandre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-18 03:14:44

Hi David,
I see your point, but mine it's slightly different! What I'm concerned
is that the matrix_row adaptor does not actually behave as a vector.
For people coming from an STL-like style, this can be a mess!

Moreover, the matrix_row (but I now suspect the same applies to the
matrix_col) miss much of its appeal if such limitations or pitfalls
take place.

To overcome the problem I can assign the vector and then resize to a
bigger dimension, but this is quite an overhead. In a more complete
example (that I attach), such resizing operations are a waste of time.
Compiling with a simple 'g++ -DNDEBUG test.cpp', the first commented
version hits a 0.110sec against 0.09 of the other one (which uses a
very raw copy).

I think that, apart for the possibility to fix the problem temporary,
a deeper check of theadaptor behavior should be done. I'm gonna check
also the column adaptor and post the results.

Andrea