Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] lapack eigenvalues sparse matrix
From: Rob Patro (rob.patro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-16 16:34:54

Phil,

  LAPACK does not handle sparse matrices. As far as I remember, the
  's' in sgeev has to do with the precision of the matrix scalar
  components; it does not have to do with sparsity. To perform an
  efficient eigendecomposition on sparse matrices, one needs to
  consider completely different algorithms than those used in LAPACK.
  For example, the ARPACK library provides for an efficient
  eigendecomposition of sparse matrices of different varieties. There
  was talk recently on this list of wrapping uBLAS matrices for
  consumption by ARPACK.

Cheers,
Rob