Boost logo

Ublas :

From: Marco Guazzone (marco.guazzone_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-17 06:04:09

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Vardan Akopian <vakopian_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM, OvermindDL1 <overminddl1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:10 PM, David Bellot <david.bellot_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > when I created the project frenchmozilla, many years ago, I used to have
>> > 3
>> > mailing-list: one for questions from the general public
>> > (ublas_at_[hidden] for example), one for patches only (because we
>> > had
>> > several patches/day at our busiest time) and one for developers.
>> >
>> > Do you think it would be a good idea to do the same. Well, in our case
>> > we
>> > only need one more list, because we don't have millions of patches and
>> > because they can easily be posted on the Trac.
>> > However, that would be helpful to separate development discussions from
>> > general questions so that not to confuse people (me the first).
>> >
>> > If I get enough vote for that, then I will open one on Sourceforge.
>>
>> As a uBlas list camper, I do not see the point, the list is not active
>> enough in my opinion to warrant splitting it up.
>
> I don't see the benefit of splitting the list either. uBlas is complicated
> enough, that even the library users, almost by definition, are advanced
> enough to understand and benefit from development discussions as well. Also,
> many times, help messages morph into development discussions, and the line
> is blurred. What would really be nice, is to have a good search capability
> of the existing archives: unless I'm missing something, the official
> archives page has no search at all, and the other aggregators don't seam
> complete. Can sourceforge help in this regard? e.g. can all the historical
> archives be imported into sourceforge? Or is google still our only friend?

Hi,

I agree with Vardan.
Often, the line between devel and non-devel is so subtle that a mail
sent to the "devel" list would be probably good also for "users" list.
Think for instance to a possible bug/issue found in the code. In
principle this would be a devel topic, but I think that in many cases
this would interest non-devel users.
This also applies to dicussions on implementations of new features.

+1 vote for a good search engine.

Cheers,

-- Marco