Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] sparse matrix dense matrix multiplication dilemma
From: Umut Tabak (u.tabak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-26 05:07:29

On 09/26/2011 10:57 AM, Tarek Elsayed wrote:
> I tried Eigen and MTL4. Neither could compete with ublas in its
> slowness ! If you think of going to GMM++, you can also try MTL4, I
> found it very fast in sparse matrix computations. If you want more
> speed, then you can use the intel MKL library.
Dear Tarek,

Thanks for the reply,
I tried to use Intel MKL for sparse matrix-dense vector multiplication
and found out that gmm++ was faster, I used g++ for these tests.

To be honest, I was surprised that gmm++ could beat intel MKL but did
not have time to make further tests. Do you have some simple code that I
might have a look at for interfacing MKL and MTL4. And one more
question, did you use intel compiler for there tests?
> I have tried both MKL and MTL4 simultaneously. MTL4 can provide you
> with the pointers to pass for MKL functions, so you don't have to
> rewrite your entire code.
Oh, this is a good pointer and remark.
> Since each of MTL4, eigen, gmm++ are tempelated libraries like ublas,
> I think you don't have to change much of your code to benchmark each
> of them.
es selamu alejkum :)

Umut