Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] GSL support
From: Kraus Philipp (philipp.kraus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-04 05:00:59

Am 04.01.2012 um 10:06 schrieb Rutger ter Borg:

> On 2011-12-30 13:37, Kraus Philipp wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using the numeric bindings to call Lapack / Atlas methods with the Boost UBlas structures. Is there also a support for the GSL (http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl) algorithms?
>>
>> Thanks and a happy new year
>>
>> Phil
>

> Hello Phil,
>
> not yet. Which class of algorithms from GSL do you think are most interesting? If you have some spare time, one of the first steps would be to figure out what can and can not be deducted automatically from the input arguments by the bindings. In addition, another thing to start with would be a python app that parses the GSL headers and collects (all necessary) information of the available algorithms. We could then work on getting (all) the GSL algorithms supported by the bindings.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rutger

Hi Rutger,

I think not all algorithms are needed, because some of the GSL algorithms are also found in the LAPack. On http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/ you can found the "main" packages of the GSL,
I think the insteressting algorithmns are: Quadrature, Simulated Anealing, Interpolation, Chebyshev Approximation, Discrete Hankel Transformation, Minimization, Discret Wavelet, Roots of Polynomials, Fast Fourier Transofrms, Differential Equation, Numerical Differentiation and Basic splines.

I don't create some "wrapper structures" like to bindings, is there any helper scripts to collect the signatures of the function calls? If I understand the GSL correct (
I have worked only for some examples with the library), there are matrix and vector types in it so the GSL calls use the own vector / matrix datatypes, so for the UBlas Boost structures must be a convert-code for translate the different ublas calls (see the spline example http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Example-programs-for-B_002dsplines.html )

I can try to collect all needed calls within the GSL, I create my examples manually, so I convert the Boost Ublas types into the GSL types, call the GSL functions and translate the data back into the boost types. (GSL is written in C, so all calls are function calls).

Which information do you need for the bindings? What can I do?

Thanks

Phil