Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Anybody still there?
From: Sean Reilly (campreilly_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-01 11:03:26

Good to see. It's a nice product.

My interests are more along the lines of extending uBLAS for
vectorized scientific computations. A idea similar to the conceptual
framework that Matlab provides, but in a way that takes full advantage
of C++ expression templates. My take is that this mostly requires an
extension of the basic vector/matrix expression:

- scalar addition: vector +/- scalar, scalar +/- vector
- division of scalar by vector
- limiting functions: max(), min(), floor(), ceil()
- algebraic functions: abs(), abs2(), arg(), sqrt(), copysign()
- trigonometric functions: cos(), cosh(), sin(), sinh(), tan(), tanh()
- inverse trig functions: acos(), acosh(), asin(), asinh(), atan(),
atan2(), atanh()
- exponential functions: exp(), log(), log10(), pow()

So that I can do things like the great circle distance of a collection
of points from an origin (see
http://williams.best.vwh.net/avform.htm#Dist)

   boost::numeric::ublas::vector<double> d, lat, lng ;
   double lat0, lng0 ;
      ... fill in values ...
   d = 2.0 * asin( sqrt( abs2(
      sin( 0.5*(lat-lat0) ) + cos(lat) * cos(lat0) * abs2( sin(
0.5*(lon-lon0)) ) )
   ) ) ) ;

It seems to me that uBLAS should do a pretty good job of optimizing
this operation, even though it has very little to do with
matrix/vector mathematics.

Question: Why do you include support for multiplication of a
vector/matrix by a scalar, but not addition?

Question: Do you know of a way to overload operator*() to perform the
same function as element_prod()? Basically, and equivalent to the
Matlab operation ".*". Note how "messy" cosine terms in the equation
above becomes when you have to use element_prod() all of the time.
I've tried specializing the existing the implementation of (t * v) [i]
= t * v [i], but I keep screwing it up.

Sean Reilly