Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Anybody still there?
From: Andrea Cassioli (cassioliandre_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-01 12:11:21

Hi guys,
I have been a uBlas user for a couple of years. I have enjoyed much of
the progresses made along the versions and the great effort push over
to improve documentation. I sadly must admit that too many patches and
not always coherent extentions have harmed the library and I deeply
agree with Nasos that it would be good to start from scratch a brand
new version.

In my opinion, uBlas shuold rely on linear algebra core that any uses
can access too, i.e. blas, lapack and whatever else you like, using
either Boost numeric Bindings ( the one in the Boost sandbox work
pretty well) or vice versa calling from the uBlas code. I consider
performances in a C++ library the core business, as for readability
other tools can do much better.

Yesterday I was just talking with a friend of mine that usually uses
MATLAB. He is a computer scientist and pretty good C++ programmer too.
I was mentioning uBlas and other libraries, but he just told me: "they
cannot catch up the seamless notation that a specialized language can
reach".

Indeed, taking a look to eigen, Armadillo or MTL4, none of them is
even close to a truly readable syntax. I therefore consider the very
priority to push on performances and code correctness, being ready to
loose a little bit in math style.

Leave the math kernel to who is specialized and built on a more
sophisticated layer that ensure correctness and avoid some ambiguity.

Another interesting issues, that what mentioned from the very first
days, is the compatibility to the STL container concept. It would be
nice to allow people using any STL-complaiant containers (vectors,
carray) along with uBlas, wouldn't be?

I understand the great effort in writing a new code, but the
experience piled up in theses years could be of great use to guide the
development.

Cheers,
Andrea