Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] GSOC 2013
From: Sean Reilly (campreilly_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-24 13:06:03

I like Marco's approach best of all. Many of us are looking less for a sparse linear algebra engine and more for an efficient C++ replacement of Matlab in digital signal processing and signal simulation. What if, as we were going forward, and wrestled with design questions (ex: vectors as rows or cols), we asked ourselves: What would Matlab do?

To expand the use of uBLAS in digital signal processing, what I suggest is:

* A clean interface to Fast Fourier Transforms. This implies the need to support operations that only really make sense for complex arguments like absolute value squared and arg().

* A clean way to generate sequences of uniform and Gaussian random numbers.

* Better support for element-by-element multiplication and division. If I go as far as to suggest that we overload operator*() and oprerator/() for this, will I be burned at the stake? The rationale for using prod() for the actual b = A * x and the overload for C = A .* B is that the latter is really a much simpler operation, and it is likely to be used many many times in the same equation.

For examples of this in action, please look at the uBLAS package in our underwater acoustics model on the https://github.com/campreilly/UnderSeaModelingLibrary site.

In the short term, I may just Fork Marco's stuff and start migrating these pieces from our own work to his.

Sean Reilly
Sent from my iPad