Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Initializing from an initializer_list
From: Nasos Iliopoulos (nasos_i_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-09 11:47:34

Hello,
I think we should add intializer_lists in the future, since it will help
with containers that need to be created (and initialized) plenty of times.

For other cases uBlas has an advanced facility that can be used to fill
a container using a similar format with initializer lists. It is an
assigner though rather than initialization facility. The good thing is
that it can be used to fill the container with either scalars, vectors
or matrices, navigate while inserting them or define insertion
traversal policies like by row or by column (features that an
initiliazer list cannot have). It also covers special operations for
sparse containers so that the insertion is fast in those cases as well.

You can do this: (A a matrix)
A <<= 0, 1, 2,
          3, 4, 5,
          6, 7, 8;

But also this:
   A <<= 0, 1, 2,
          a,
          3, 4, 5; // a is a 3-vector here

or even:
     B <<= A, A,
          A, A;
     std::cout << B << std::endl;
     // [ A A ]

I am still to write the documentation for ublas:assignment but I think
the examples pretty much cover most of the functionality:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/numeric/ublas/doc/samples/assignment_examples.cpp

The unit tests cover some additional items:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/numeric/ublas/test/test_assignment.cpp

Some benchmarks are here:
http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/numeric/ublas/bench5/

Regards,