Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Matrix decompositions.
From: oswin krause (oswin.krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-16 02:06:39

Hi,

These are further good points!

I also came up with a few new ones(and tips!):

- QR needs pivoting. It's main usages are SVD and pseudo-inverses. In
both cases the input does not necessary have full rank. Also pivoting
helps for matrices with high condition numbers.

- For the same reasons H was not formed explicitly, Q should not be
formed. Instead there should be a version of the algorithm which does
only return the reflection vectors forming Q.

- For dense matrices at least, it is possible to do the QR in-place by
storing the R part as lower triangular and the householder
transformation vectors in the upper triangular. (That is very similar to
how LU is implemented).

- The best sources for algorithmic information are the LAPACK working notes.
http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lawns/

In your case lawn114 sems to be the most relevant, even though it
assumes a fast BLAS3.

Greetings,
Oswin