Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] Matrix multiplication performance
From: nasos (nasos_i_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-27 10:18:02

We would definitely like to adopt an implementation like this. We need
though to make sure:

1. It is called only if both arguments are dense matrices, or one dense
matrix and one dense vector. We should disable any implicit conversions
to avoid surprises like converting a sparse matrix to a dense one

2. We should provide extensive benchmarks for a large range of matrix
sizes.

3. We should setup benchmarks that find optimal sizes for the micro and
meso kernels. These benchmarks may be slow and we may want to find a way
to publish optimal sizes for various architectures. Maybe just include
them in a readme file.

4. We should provide an interface to compile with these optimal sizes.
Provide fallback when these are not provided

5. ublas is one of the fastest libraries for small matrices. Because I
think the most prevalent use of dense multiplication is on small
matrices ( geometric transformations etc.) we need to make sure this
stays that way.

Concerning 3, please note that my experience is that there is not a
single combination that is optimal for all matrix sizes and this is
reflected in the previous developments in the fast matrix multiplication
branch on github. I hope we can find a good compromise.

I will create a branch with the aim to create an implementation that
embodies 1-4 and uses Michael's work. I apologize for not having a lot
of time to invest in this endeavor atm but I think if I make an outline
of the integration requirements we can work it out through pull
requests. When things are setup I will be running benchmarks on various
architectures and compilers ( currently I have access to clang, gcc,
intel and msvc)

-Nasos