Boost logo

Ublas :

Subject: Re: [ublas] [gsoc18] Tensor - Competency Test
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-23 15:41:49

On 22.03.2018 13:39, Cem Bassoy via ublas wrote:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> I have uploaded the proposal.
Hi Cem,

I'm reading your proposal right now. You have some very specific ideas
about how to change (evolve) the fundamental type system in Boost.uBLAS.
Do you have experience with an API that uses that approach, and which
can be used to validate it ?

There are many aspects of what I'm reading that I really like. I have
questions about some others. So before I dive into the details, I wonder
whether you can refer to any such project (ideally with documentation
:-) ) where I might find answers to these questions.

Note that I co-designed a library (http://openvsip.org/) with somewhat
similar goals (and the API to which is now standardized at the OMG:
https://www.omg.org/spec/VSIPL++/About-VSIPL++/), so it would be
interesting to compare the different design choices. (And there of
course other libraries with similar goals, such as Eigen
(http://eigen.tuxfamily.org) and many others.)

And on a more practical note: Do you have any path in mind for migrating
from the existing implementation to a future one that uses your design ?
I'm concerned that what you are really proposing is a full-scale
replacement of Boost.uBLAS by something new, which is not only way too
ambitious a task for a single GSoC project, but might actually require a
full Boost review as a new library addition.

All that being said, I'm actually very sympathetic to your proposal. I
don't want to discourage you, but need to understand how this may work
out for everyone involved. (Feel free to follow up in private if you
prefer.)

Regards,

Stefan

signature.png