Subject: -pthread switch and binary compatibitity
From: "John Maddock" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:01:48 +0100
List-Id: <gcc.gcc.gnu.org>

Hi there,

Over at the Boost C++ libraries project we're trying to decide what is the
correct thing to do when code is compiled with -pthread or not.

The crux of the issue is this: if gcc/g++ is configured with the pthread
threading model, then are object files always binary compatible irrespective
of whether they are compiled with the -pthread command line option or not?

If the answer is yes, then is it commonplace to link object files compiled
with and without -pthread?

Basically we're trying to decide whether to try and ensure that object files
compiled with and without -pthread are always binary compatible, or whether
to turn threading support on *only* when -pthread is specified (and
_REENTRANT gets #defined).

Many thanks for your help,

John Maddock.

-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG. 
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.22.13/1377 - Release Date: 14/04/2008 09:26