Subject: Conservancy encourages member projects to apply for Google Summer of Code (SoC) 2011
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:20:00 -0500

Carol Smith of the Google Open Source Program Office wrote on Monday:

> We're pleased to announce that Google Summer of Code will be happening
> for its seventh year this year. Please check out the blog post [1]
> about the program and read the FAQs [2] and Timeline [3] on Melange
> for more information.
>
> [1] - http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/01/google-summer-of-code-announced-at-lca.html
> [2] - http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs
> [3] - http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

I strongly urge Conservancy projects to apply to the Summer of Code.
This is the largest annual philanthropy program in the Open Source and
Free Software world.  While it does require some work on the part of the
project -- you must provide mentors for students -- most projects report
that great dividends are found by getting new, young contributors
involved.  Also note that mentoring organizations get a stipend of
$500/mentor in addition to the students being paid directly by Google.

If any Conservancy projects that haven't done SoC before would like to,
please feel free to call on me for assistance in filling out your
applications and dealing with the "org-admin" parts.

Finally, please make sure I'm introduced to whoever is the "SoC
org-admin" for your project early.  In previous years, it's taken extra
time to get invoices with Google sorted out for projects because
Conservancy didn't know until late in the process who were the
org-admins for various projects.  If I'm introduced to them early, it
should be easy to sort this out.

Also, I'm going to be coordinating this year with Carol and the Melange
developers about perhaps getting some improvements to Melange that will
permit "meta org-admins" to be first-class citizens in system, so
perhaps some workflow from your project's to Conservancy can be handled
semi-automatically as part of the existing workflow already there for
the SoC Program.
-- 
Bradley M. Kuhn, Executive Director, Software Freedom Conservancy
-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com