Subject: Re: list::size
From: Howard Hinnant <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:01:13 -0500

To: C++ libraries mailing list
Message c++std-lib-16084

On Oct 26, 2005, at 3:03 PM, Howard Hinnant wrote:

> I recommend just commenting out list::size in your std header, run  
> the tests, and see what fails to compile.  And then check if you  
> approve of the use of std::list::size in each of those cases.  If  
> you do this experiment, I'd love to know the results.
>
> And having to experiment this way is exactly my point.
>
> In fact, run the experiment again and comment out the "splice some"  
> signature this time.  My bet is that list::size will be used much  
> more often than list::splice-some.

I decided to do this survey myself:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/hinnant/cpp_extensions/ 
On_list_size.html#boost%20survey

If boost authors can be bitten by list::size (after peer reviews from  
other boost members), just imagine what it is doing out in the  
trenches...

-Howard