Subject: State machine framework with dynamic configurability
From: "Dave" <[email-masked]>
To: (Usenet)
Date: 23 Jun 2005 19:12:54 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated

Hi all,
I'm working on a project to improving a legacy software on Unix which
has a flat state machine with hundreds of states in it. I'm looking for
a state machine framework that supports nested states, guards, entry,
exit and preferrably other state machine features such as concurrent
state transitions, orthorgonal states, shallow/deep histories. Another
requirement is that the state machine framework should be dynamically
configurable, say in my main program I have 3 states, and i can build a
shared object which defines a state machine as a sub-state machine for
one of the states in the main program. All these should be achieved
without recompiling the main program.

I looked into the boost statechart library and dug up the thread that
Andreas Huber started when the idea to create boost statechart was
first hatched. The only problem is that the library wasn't designed
with dynamic configurability in mind, so it doesn't suit my needs.

I also looked into the quantum platform, etc framework, but I have
trouble finding documentation (perhaps I need to buy the book?)

I've also tried a statechart modelling tool called SmartState and used
it to generate a state machine but the state machine features supported
are limited and I have some reservations about the design of the state
machine framework that the tool generates

So.. my question is: is there any other state machine framework that is
dynamically configurable and support the most of the state machine
features mentioned above?

any help is welcome, thanks in advance

newbie

      [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ]
      [ comp.lang.c++.moderated.    First time posters: Do this! ]