Boost logo

Boost Announcement :

From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-05 12:38:52

Hi all,

the formal review period of the Fixed strings library written by Reece Dunn
ends today.

Since there was complete consent with regard to this library among all
submitted reviews, it is straight forward for me to make the final decision.
The library is rejected and will not be included into Boost at this point in
time.

The main points listed during review were:
- Do we need a fixed_string library at all, is it worth the overhead?
- Insufficient/confusing documentation
  . insufficient description of general design, design rationales and
motivations
  . it says more about implementation details rather then the public
interface
  . missing or insufficient documentation of parts of the library
- The overall architecture of the implementation is too complicated and
needs to be reworked
- Missing interface for construction/interaction with std::string's
- Unclear benefit to have the strings truncated to avoid overflows
- Missing performance comparison with std::string and other alternatives
- Compilation problems with the library as submitted for review

Reece already expressed his interest to resubmit the library for review
again, after he has been able to address the mention issues.

I'ld like to thank Reece for submitting this library and all reviewers for
their time they invested in preparing the reviews.

Regards Hartmut
Review Manager

Boost-announce list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk