Boost Announcement :
Subject: [Boost-announce] [Boost-users] Subject: Formal Review of Proposed Boost.Process library starts tomorrow
From: Marshall Clow (mclow.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-07 01:18:24
It's my pleasure to announce that the review of Boris Schäling's Process library starts tomorrow, February 7th and lasts until February 20, 2011, unless an extension occurs.
What is it?
Boost.Process is a library to manage system processes. It can be used to:
create child processes
run shell commands
setup environment variables for child processes
setup standard streams for child processes (and other streams on POSIX platforms)
communicate with child processes through standard streams (synchronously or asynchronously)
wait for processes to exit (synchronously or asynchronously)
Getting the library
The library is available at:
with documentation at:
There was a quite involved "informal review" on the mailing list this past summer.
That thread is archived here:
Writing a review
If you feel this is an interesting library, then please submit your
review to the developer list (preferably), or to the review manager (me!)
Here are some questions you might want to answer in your review:
- What is your evaluation of the design?
- What is your evaluation of the implementation?
- What is your evaluation of the documentation?
- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
- Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have
- How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
- reading? In-depth study?
- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
And finally, every review should answer this question:
- Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?
Be sure to say this explicitly so that your other comments don't
obscure your overall opinion.
Review Manager for the proposed Boost.Process library
Boost-users mailing list
Boost-announce list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk