Boost logo

Boost Announcement :

From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-01-15 15:23:10

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Klemens Morgenstern via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 at 16:17
Subject: [boost] aedis review starts today
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Cc: Klemens Morgenstern <klemensdavidmorgenstern_at_[hidden]>

The formal review of the aedis starts today (15th) and ends next week on
Tuesday (24th).

The library was developed & submitted by Marcelo.

Aedis
=================

Aedis is a Redis client library built on top of Boost.Asio that
implements the latest version of the Redis communication protocol
RESP3.

Some of its distinctive features are
* A connection class that provides high-level functions to execute Redis
commands and receive server pushes concurrently.
* Automatic pipelining of commands.
* Support for STL containers and serialization of user-defined data types.
* Low-latency: Responses can be read in their final data-structure without
creating copies.

Aedis links
   Github: https://github.com/mzimbres/aedis
   Homepage: https://mzimbres.github.io/aedis/
   Git tag: v1.4.1
   Tarball:
https://github.com/mzimbres/aedis/archive/refs/tags/v1.4.1.tar.gz

Redis Links:
   Redis: https://redis.io/
   RESP3:
https://github.com/redis/redis-specifications/blob/master/protocol/RESP3.md
   Pipelines: https://redis.io/docs/manual/pipelining/
   Redis commands: https://redis.io/commands/

Local Redis
===========
Redis can be also easily installed on your local machine, for example,
on Debian run "apt install redis". You might also want to use docker
https://www.docker.com/blog/how-to-use-the-redis-docker-official-image/

Redis server for the Boost review
=================================
We also have a public aedis server available for testing,
please contact me or Marcelo for the details.

Review
========

Please explicitly state that you either *accept* or *reject* the inclusion
of this library into boost.
Also please indicate the time & effort spent on the evaluation and give the
reasons for your decision.

The review is open to anyone who is prepared to put in the work of
evaluating and reviewing the library. Prior experience in contributing to
Boost reviews is not a requirement.

Some questions to consider:

 - Does this library bring real benefit to C++ developers for real world
use-case?
 - Do you have an application for this library?
 - Does the API match with current best practices?
 - Is the documentation helpful and clear?
 - Did you try to use it? What problems or surprises did you encounter?
 - What is your evaluation of the implementation?

Additionally, stating your knowledge of redis and asio would be helpful for
me.