From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-04 17:31:01
I'm done with the first pass at the new build scripts for b/jam. They are:
* build.bat; Bootstrap build on Windows command.com shell. Currently
- Detection of: Borland(BCC5) tools - tested; CodeWarrior 8 tools -
tested; MSVC in the three variants of C++/98, Studio, and .NET (untested)
- Bootstraps both jam and mkjambase (if needed). Doesn't bootstrap the
grammar because of the generally missing "yyacc" script on Windows.
* build.sh; Bootstrap build on Unix type SH shell, supports:
- Detection of: GCC tools - tested on Linux; MacOSX Drawin GCC tools -
tested; Intel Linux - untested; VisualAge C/C++ - untested.
- Bootstraps jam, mkjambase, and the gramar.
* build.jam; Does the regular building, supports:
- All the current toolsets we have regular Boost.Build support for. But
I've only tested the ones mentioned above.
- Automatic detection of bison or yacc. Prefers bison over yacc.
- Doesn't remove files for things it can't build normally, like the
grammar files when it can't find bison/yacc, or mkjambase(jambase.c).
- Has a single "dist" target for building the various distribution
parts: source archive, binary archive, and single binary.
- Autodetection of RPM tool to build the rpm archive as part of the dist
The scripts are targeted mostly at enduser building, and as such us
developers have to do the extra typing. Users just do either "./build.sh" or
The one thing I could not keep compatible in the still present Jamfile was
the RPM building. This is because the command to build b/jam is embedded in
the boost-jam.spec. So to build RPMs you must use these new scripts. If we
can't live with this I can try and make changes to "Jamfile" to get that
So now we just need to implement more bootstrap tool detection code ;-) One
other thing should we replace the now very outdated building instructions
(INSTALL,README,RELNOTES) with more text files or a single Boost looking
-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq - Grafik666_at_AIM - Grafik_at_[hidden]
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk