From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-29 06:42:51
the preview distribution of Milestone 9 is available from
While it passes all the tests on all the toolsets I have, I would appreciate
if somebody give it a try and report any problems before the release is
The reason is that number of changes is quite large, and some of them, like
change in the was libraries are handled, affect mainstream use.
This last change means that
lib a : a.cpp some_other_lib ;
is now the preferred way to express library->library dependency.
The fully list of changes is below.
Changes in this release
- Putting library in sources of other library now works even for static
linking, which makes expressing library->library dependency much
- Performance was considerably improved.
- Regression testing framework now works on windows.
- The "alias" rule can have usage requirements and passes on usage
requirements of sources.
- The "stage" rule can traverse dependencies.
- Support for "def files" was implemented.
- Targets paths are now shorter.
The following bugs were fixed:
- It was not possible to specify empty suffix for a target type derived
from other type.
- The stage rules used to generate incorrect suffix in some cases.
- It was possible to load Jamfile twice.
- The 'use-project' rule was broken when referring to a child project.
Developer visible changes:
- New CALC builtin, which considerable improves performance.
- Source layout was reorganized.
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk