From: Bronek Kozicki (brok_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-10 18:00:16
mrbandsaw <mrbandsaw_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I'm trying to build the new boost 1.31.0 with VC++2003.
Everything is described at:
I have no problem with that. Here is step-by-step guide for you:
1. click Start, then Programs, then Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003,
then Visual Studio .NET Tools, then Visual Studio .NET 2003 Command
Prompt . This will run cmd.exe with vsvars32.bat, wich is responsible
for setting various required environment variables
2. make sure you have proper INCLUDE variable. You may possibly need to
append boost path, eg.:
3. make sure you are in boost directory (in example above it would be
4. run bjam with correct set of parameters (see bellow).
> However, already at the 2nd step (as described by the getting started
> guide) where I was trying to configure my tool by issuing:
> bjam "-sVC71_ROOT=D:\Programs\VS2003\Vc7" I got several error
> messages about python and paths with weird names - e.g.:
these messages about Pyhton are OK, if you do not have it installed
(it's not part of boost). Moreover, you do not need to use option
VC71_ROOT if you have run vsvars32.bat (as described in step 1.).
However, you should select which toolset you want to use, option
> Is this OK? I guess not... Where are the object files supposed to be
> found? Under C:\Boost or under the directory where I extracted the
> entire zip archive to (D:\C++\Boost_1_31_0)?
If you want boost installed in directory of your choice instead of
C:\Boost (so called "PREFIX"), use --prefix option. You may find its
description under URL mentioned at the top of this message
5. correct way to run bjam in your case could be:
bjam "-sTOOLS=vc7.1" "--prefix=D:\C++\Boost_1_31_0" install
This will create 3 subdirectories under "PREFIX" directory:
* bin, where boost is being build (object files, other intermediary
files and final result, ie. libraries). You may remove it afterwards;
* lib, where library files are being copied (not moved) from bin;
* include\boost-1_31, which will contain all boost include files copied
from boost directory.
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk