From: Alexey Pakhunov (lx_uk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-29 04:35:57
I have a couple of questions about support .rc files.
AFAIU boost.build v2 supports building of .rc files via
boost/tools/build/v2/tools/rc.jam. This file was contributed by Andre Hentz. I
made this conclusion from the discussion that took place here around June 2-6,
2003 (as I see from the archive of this mailing list). BTW the discussion was
started by Martin Fuchs who posted his Jamrules file providing support of
message compiler (.mc files) and midl.
The questions are:
1. Is there any enchancements related to .rc, .mc, .idl files building planning?
2. Version of rc.jam I have (/rc.jam/1.5/Thu Nov 6 06:17:53 2003//) does not
satisfy me a little bit - is it the last one? I took it from anonymous CVS so I
believe it is.
So rc.jam lacks the following:
- I have several different compilers intalled so by default I do not have
INCLUDE and LIB variables set as well as cl.exe and rc.exe are not in my PATH.
Building of C source files works just great because vcvars32.bat is called
before invoking cl.exe (see msvc.jam). The same thing doesn't work with rc.exe
since rc.jam calls it without any prefix (see rc.jam).
- rc.jam does not provide scanner for .rc includes.
I fixed both problems:
- Moved rules from rc.jam to msvc.jam and added calling vsvars32.bat before
rc.exe. (It is not really convenient to do it in rc.jam since msvc.init rule
does great work searching installed compler in different locations).
- Wrote scanner for rc files.
Also I am planning to add support of message compiler. I believe this could be
interesting to others. Does any one interested? Is there any developer how
already implemented this functionality and I'm doing monkey buseness? :-)
-- Best regards, Alexey.
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk