From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-05 04:31:46
Rene Rivera wrote:
> Reece Dunn wrote:
>> Rene Rivera wrote:
>>> Reece Dunn wrote:
>> Ah well... for STDOUT, we could write to an anonymous file, then expand the
>> @(...) to:
>> type anonymous-file
>> on Windows and
>> cat anonymous-file
>> on cygwin and *nix. Not sure about STDERR, though.
> Good idea. I'll run with that :-) For STDERR one would redirect to the
> correct channel:
> type/cat anon-file 1>&2
>> :) NOTE: There is a tmpnam C API function.
> If only things where that easy ;-) The tmpnam functionality happens to
> generate some horrid names when using the VC runtime. And I have no clue
> how it badly it behaves across platforms. So instead I implemented
> something more "reasonable".
:( Yeah, I did notice that VC tends to produce some strange names.
> Ah, yea, those aren't bugs. That's just the way variable expansion works:
Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
>> I have taken the new code and verified the patch works :). I have attached
>> the same msvc.jam and cw.jam patch as my tests didn't encounter any issues
>> with your modifications.
> OK, I just put in your changes. It reduced my test case from 454223142B
> to 381162374B. Or about 73M savings, i.e. ~16% less.
>>> And another note, I made some local changes to the print module and I
>>> have it now consuming about 50% less memory :-)
> Oops, should have been 25%. But of course your changes made that 100%
> :-) I'll check them them in eventually when I implement the STDOUT and
> STDERR as above.
:) With your local changes plus mine, we are at about 40% (but yours
will have improved response file generation because that was dependant
on the print logic, so it may be closer to 30%).
Now... on to the next big memory consumer :).
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk