Subject: Re: [Boost-build] How to use generators to CPP and LIB
From: Duncan Rance (gmane_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-02 12:34:26
Duncan Rance wrote:
> Well actually I originally had two generators, but I've been through
> many iterations!
> I'm going to have try generators.override etc. in a while, but perhaps
> it might be clearer if I'm say more about what I'm doing (I've been
> trying to keep it simple!)
> Check out this lot:
> type.register RESRBS : rbs ;
> type.register RESTXT : txt ;
> type.register RESOUT : res ;
> type.register RESDAT : dat ;
> generators.register-standard resources.gensrc : RESRBS : RESTXT ;
> generators.register-standard resources.genenumh : RESTXT : H ;
> generators.register-standard resources.genenumc : H : CPP ;
> generators.register-standard resources.genrb : RESTXT : RESOUT ;
> generators.register-composing resources.icupkg : RESOUT : RESDAT ;
> generators.register-composing resources.pkgdata : RESOUT : LIB ;
> I start with root.rbs. That gets converted into a txt file (in the ICU
> project's resource-bundling format -- they chose txt but I guess I
> could change it.)
> genenumh creates a big C++ enum declaration in a header file (I want
> it to be called resourcesEnum.h). genenumc creates the enum's
> definition, ideally in resourcesEnum.cpp.
> I've got some dat file targets that are supposed to use gensrc ->
> genrb -> icupkg.
> Then there is the libroot.a, which is supposed to come from gensrc ->
> genrb -> pkgdata.
> The ambiguity comes about because RESRBS -> RESTXT -> H -> CPP -> OBJ
> -> LIB clashes with RESRBS -> RESTXT -> RESOUT -> LIB.
> Hopefully this makes more sense!
> I'm unsure about the file names. It tries to create a root.h &
> root.cpp etc., but I don't want it to. And I've got no source at all
> with resourcesEnum in the name, so perhaps I'm just doing totally the
> wrong thing!
> As I say, I'll have a look at the override thing.
Okay, I've had a whole day looking into this again :(
I tried creating a RESOURCE-LIB type but got nowhere with that.
I tried the overriding thing. Here's what I've got:
class resource-lib-generator : lib-generator
rule __init__ ( * : * : * )
generator.__init__ $(1) : $(2) : $(3) ;
rule run ( project name ? : property-set : source * )
if [ $(source).type ] != RESRBS
local t = [ generators.construct $(project) $(name) : LIB
: $(property-set) : $(source) ] ;
return $(t[2-]) ;
generators.register-standard resources.gensrc : RESRBS : RESTXT ;
generators.register-standard resources.genrb : RESTXT : RESOUT ;
generators.register-composing resources.icupkg : RESOUT : RESDAT ;
generators.register-standard resources.genlib : RESRBS : LIB H CPP ;
generators.override resources.genlib : builtin.lib-generator ;
generators.register [ new resource-lib-generator
resources.resource-lib-generator : RESRBS : LIB H CPP ] ;
generators.override resources.resource-lib-generator :
perl $(frameworkdir)/genlib.pl $(>) $(<) $(icudir)
The genlib action is correctly used to create the lib, but I now have
a problem whereby the next LIB to be built fails with:
warn: Unable to construct ...
Because it is trying to use the resource-lib-generator rather than the
Really need help on this one. I championed bjam here and we used it to
replace make. But now the boss wants to know why I've spent three
days on this!
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk