Subject: [Boost-build] [wince] Building Boost for Windows CE... some progress and problems...
From: Andy Schweitzer (a.schweitzer.grps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-13 20:38:31
I've been trying to build boost for windows CE. I've made some progress,
but it's not really working yet. I was asked off-list about it, so
I thought I'd post a report and some questions.
Basically, I managed to build STLport libs/dlls for CE, using vc8 and
vc9, with minor mods to STLport. STLport test program runs, apparently
successfully on the CE emulator. A test program can link to STLport libs
and use them successfully.
Then, with a modified user-config.jam (based on VeecoFTC's), and the
proper bjam command line. I was able to build some of the boost
libraries. I have only gotten static link and vc8 building. My dlls fail
to link to STL. My vc9 has include problems. I haven't really
investigated either of these. Compiler errors result from parts of the
standard C++ libraries that are missing from CE (and not provided by
STLport). I have satisfied the compiler by providing stub
implementations - which of course wouldn't actually work, but do build.
I linked a test program to some of the built libraries and ran it
successfully in the emulator. I would like to run boost::test on the
emulator to see what works and what doesn't. So far I have been able to
build boost::test, but not the first individual test case I tried,
libs/system/test. I got an ARM vs THUMB link error which I have yet to
-- Any suggestions C++ standard functions missing from CE?
-- Has anyone tried wcelibex? It looks appropriate. All its
functions start with "wce_", and I think for it to work with well with
boost and STLport, those would have to be wrapped into calls with the
standard names and put into STL namespace.
-- Any idea why vc9 would have problems finding the right include
directories when vc8 does not? I diffed the setup batch files and they
appear to be indentical.
-- Any ideas on why machine conflicts (X86 vs ARM and ARM vs THUMB) seem
to occur in some cases but not others?
Details (for reference - comments welcome from anyone
who wants to pore through details):
* vc8, vc9
I had to un-install IE8 before I could create
Smart Device projects. Based on web searches
there seems to be an on-going problem with
some solutions that didn't work for me.
* CE SDKs
* Ran code from WM5 emulator
Code (modifications included in attached zip file):
* added batchfiles to setup and build STL
They assume an env var STL_ROOT pointing
to, STLport-5.2.1 dir.
if you put them there and run
might "just work"
* build/Makefiles/nmake/evc4.mak - added define of
ARMV4I and use of THUMB
* src/details/fstream_win32io.cpp - open() failed
until I hacked in code to ignore failing
call to SetFilePointer. Not sure what is
going on here, or if hack is appropriate.
* stlport/using/cstring - hacked in stub of strerror
(boost::system needs it)
* used svn to download trunk a couple weeks ago
* tools/build/v2/tools/user-config.jam - adds toolsets
for vc8+CE+STLport and vc9+CE+STLport
* libs/system/test/error_code_user_test.cpp - stubs
errno and call to std::remove.
hacked out some includes
added TEXT macro to get wider chars
hacked out try_may_file
hacked out some includes
stubbed in Get/SetCurrentDirectory,
stubbed in getenv
* These built at least enough successfully that static link succeeded.
static-link successfully built:
I could not link to them from an emulator test-program until I used
--build-type=complete (which nevertheless reported erors).
I actually tried and successfully linked to:
* build command, that at least succeeded with static link:
bjam --with-system --with-thread --with-signals --with-date_time^
--with-filesystem --with-program_options --with-iostreams^
stdlib=stlport-5.2~evc8~arm > bjam.txt 2>&1
regex - fails on strxfrm
graph - fails on iswalnum
Boost-Build list run by bdawes at acm.org, david.abrahams at rcn.com, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk