Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 12:03:48

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Doug Gregor <doug.gregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Troy,
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:02 AM, troy d. straszheim
> <troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Quick-ish report on this:
> >
> > For what I have been doing, dummy builds suffice. I'm willing to switch
> to this though....
> > We could decide for now to bear with the extra administrative overhead of
> the current bitten
> > and focus on this stuff instead. Comments?
>
> I think it is much more important to continue working on decoupling
> the masters and slaves a bit, because that's the fundamental part of
> Bitten that could give us trouble.
>
> Have these issues been discussed with the Bitten developers at all?
> Are they willing to accept patches that reduce the current level of
> coupling, and/or do some of this work? We can't do anything that would
> result in forking Bitten or taking over maintainership of major
> changes.

I'm worried about Bitten. It seems to depend heavily on a single developer
who has a day job, is heavily involved in other FOSS projects, and has a new
baby. There are three other developers with write access (including Dave
Abrahams) but they only seem to be stepping in to take up part of the slack.
There are complaints on the mailing list about patches not being applied,
queries not being answered, and concerns the project might die. That said,
various users do seem to be happy with the results.

Dave, have the various issues you raised on the Bitten list been resolved to
your satisfaction?

--Beman