Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 16:43:39

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:19 PM, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> One thing occurred to me: (you'd have to have a bit of knowledge about bitten's code to get this)
> the bitten server has direct local access to SVN. The build recipes could
> be checked in. Testers with commit access (which could be access-controlled to this one area)
> would have control over their own recipes. The total protocol/database changes to bitten
> could be significantly fewer, and it would still work in controller-mode,
> so the bitten guys (guy?) would have no reason not to adopt it. I'll try implementing this,
> see what happens.

Interesting idea. The most important requirement, to me, is that we
don't end up taking maintainership of anything. That's where bjam got
us in trouble.

> > But, I don't want to seriously propose it as an
> > alternative until I've done a significant amount of work to improve
> > the interface, because I *hate* when people throw out software
> > suggestions without doing any work themselves :)
>
> Having build results right there in trac is Really Slick,

Yeah, I really like the idea of the Trac integration.

> and writing trac plugins (where all requirements are already present,
> and the development, happily, is all pythonland) can't possibly be as
> much work as dealing with all this stuff:
>
>> [CDash] System requirements
>>
>> * MySQL database (5.x and higher)
>> * PHP (5.0 recommended)
>> * XSL module for PHP
>> * cURL module for PHP (for site statistics)
>> * GD module for PHP (for regression tests)
>
> though I suppose I could be convinced otherwise.

Any decent webserver will have all of this stuff available already. I
was able to set up CDash on my Mac laptop in less than an hour, and I
had none of this stuff installed before that. Compared to Dart/Dart2,
CDash is a cakewalk :)

  - Doug