Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 09:53:56

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Beman wrote:
>
> > I'm overwhelmed! This is unbelievably slick, better than a lot of
> > software installs that have been around for years!
>
> I totally agree that this is great work, but Beman, have you used the
> installer provided by Boost Consulting?

Yes. My comment about other installers wasn't a reflection on the Boost
Consulting installer, but rather on several commercial products I've
installed recently that have really sad installers.

> It does some important and
> useful things that the CMake-generated installers do not (yet). Most
> notable among them, all the binaries are downloaded on demand from
> SourceForge mirrors, and the interface for selecting libraries and
> toolsets is both intuitive and flexible. Daniel Wallin did some killer
> work to make that happen, and it should be incorporated in our CMake
> process.

Good, but I hope this is all stuff that will be maintained by the CPack
folks, not by Boost. The other issue I'm very concerned about is robustness
and reliability. From the standpoint of release manager, it is really
essential that (1) the installer doesn't require hand configuration before
every release, (2) it can be tested automatically as part of the daily
release snapshot process, and (3) it copes with problems like a SourceForge
mirror being unresponsive. Using SourceForge mirrors doesn't seem compatible
with daily snapshots, by the way.

--Beman