Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Doug Gregor (doug.gregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 13:41:04

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM, troy d. straszheim
<troy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I'm sure we're not the only ones who would be interested in
> this, in part because:
>
> - We (http://www.icecube.wisc.edu) need this too... I have to write it anyway.
> We're losing sysadmin-hours on restarting dart servers.

Well, CDash should fix that with only a small amount of effort.

> - It seems inevitable that some community of users would pop up around this.
> Maybe the kitware guys would be interested in it once they
> see how fundamentally slick the trac integration is. (Though until they switch from
> cvs+mantis to svn+trac, it might continue to be hard for them to 'get it')

It'll be a hard sell; Kitware has been using Mantis for a while, and
many of their projects still use CVS.

> - There is no lock-in for boost. A future switch to a tweaked cdash, or whatever,
> could occur basically just by changing some urls. The development could proceed
> in parallel with the other approach (which I'm gathering is a couple of bitten
> hacks, plus xsl transforms of ctest output and client scripts).

This is a big advantage of basing things on CTest. We can prototype or
evaluate systems easily, and switch from one to another if necessary.
I could probably set up a CDash server as a fallback, to give us at
least some kind of regression reporting right now.

> I realize that there is well-founded hesitation about inventing things that we'll need
> to maintain. I'm OK with a thanks-but-no-thanks (if so, forget I mentioned it,
> and I'll be glad to assist with bitten hacks, I'm getting pretty good with these trac
> plugins.)

At this point, I don't really want to dissuade anyone from trying
anything. I am very concerned about building our own system that we
have to maintain by ourselves, or adopting something that doesn't
already have a significant community behind it for maintenance. But, I
also know that there is *no* system out there that meets Boost's
needs.

  - Doug