Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-27 15:54:15

David Abrahams wrote:
>> - the model is simple. You ingest ctest's xml into the database, then
>> any view of the data that you want to hack together, you can.
>
> Not so different from the bitten model, is it?

Well once the build results are in the database, I guess it isn't so different,
but again the bitten server keeps track of
which builds/recipes were doled out to which platform at which revision. It also
knows which builds are pending, how many steps each contains, etc. There's a lot of state
there, and the code is tangly. None of that applies to the traash/ctest/dart model,
where the client decides to build by consulting svn directly, and the server simply
ingests build results as they arrive. Anyhow, I guess we can let this die
now.

>> - It seems inevitable that some community of users would pop up around
>> this.
>> Maybe the kitware guys would be interested in it once they see how
>> fundamentally slick the trac integration is. (Though until they
>> switch from cvs+mantis to svn+trac, it might continue to be hard
>> for them to 'get it')
>
> Their loss. However, if you publish this thing on trac-hacks.org, it
> *will* gain a user community.

That's precisely the plan.

>> I realize that there is well-founded hesitation about inventing things
>> that we'll need to maintain. I'm OK with a thanks-but-no-thanks (if
>> so, forget I mentioned it, and I'll be glad to assist with bitten
>> hacks, I'm getting pretty good with these trac plugins.)
>
> No, let's do this. I've never understood what the big deal about
> modifying Bitten is, in part because I think what it does is so damn
> simple, so I don't think starting from scratch is particularly hard
> either.

Good, we're on the same page. I'll notify when there is something to see.

-t