Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-01 12:41:22

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Doug Gregor <doug.gregor_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Troy,
>
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM, troy d. straszheim <troy_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > 4. Tell how many *successful* build steps were executed. ctest
> > reports only failures. For instance, if I run an incremental
> > build and look at the results on dart, I don't know how many
> > files were actually rebuilt. I often want to know this information,
> > though: for instance, if the patches I committed haven't fixed
> > certain test failures, I really want to be able to check that the
> > tests themselves were actually rebuilt.
>
> Interesting. What's more important to know---which files were rebuilt,
> or which Subversion revision

I've been much happier with the current Boost regression reporting since it
started reporting the SVN revision number. I'd hate to go back to a system
that didn't report that.

> > 5. See the actual commands executed to run certain builds. One often
> > wants to do this when chasing build misconfigurations: what were
> > the flags this lib was built with?
>
> Yes, this is really, really important information whenever something
> fails, and CTest/Dart/CDash don't do a good job of handling this.

FWIW, I really depend on jbam's -d2 option to track down misconfigurations.

> [snip log-scraping issues, solution]
> > On integration into cmake:
> >
> > - CMake already does something similar: Think
> > CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILES and the toggleable fancy colorization
> > and percent-completed display.
>
> Right. Note that this stuff does not work in Visual Studio, which may
> be an issue. I don't understand the Visual Studio model well enough to
> have a good sense of whether something similar is possible. I guess in
> the worst case, we have some limitations in Visual Studio or ask
> regression testers to use NMAKE

Even though Visual Studio has been my preferred development platform for
many years, I'd prefer NMAKE for regression tests. I run them in the
background while doing other work, and don't want Visual Studio popping up
on the screen.

--Beman