Boost logo

Boost Interest :

From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-06 15:01:19

All,

I have something up that people can try.

It works like this:

- Check out the CMake/release branch
- run cmake to configure, then run ccmake and enable BOOST_BUILD_SLAVE and BOOST_TESTING.

now go have a look at

    http://boost.resophonic.com/trac/traash

roll over the 'go' link for the build furthest down the list and note the build number
in the href. Then

    make slave-start

you should see it say hi to the server via xmlrpc and get a build number.
It'll save that locally. Then check that page again,
your build should be listed there as 'in-progress'.

    make slave-info

will tell you what your machine is reporting to the server. Not very useful but it
is there.

    make -i boost_signals

should build Signals and report the results. Go back to the main page at

    http://boost.resophonic.com/trac/traash

and click the 'go' link for your build. You should see the results for Signals there
immediately after they are reported.

Then you can make whatever you like. The whole shebang would be:

    make -i test

and afterwards,

   make slave-finish

When slave-finish gets made, the build will be tagged with a
finish time and no longer listed as in-progress.

The display here is just a minimum front end to show things are working.
There are bugs, the interface is clunky, and the thing is unusably slow
if a build gets too big (we know why, we know how to fix it).
I've been busy getting the data path clean, choosing architecture,
and haven't even turned on compression in the webserver yet.

The trac plugin includes a little hook for AJAX, (hit these with your
browser):

    http://boost.resophonic.com/trac/traash?ajax&build_id=3&project=Array
    http://boost.resophonic.com/trac/traash?ajax&builds

which return data in JSON format. Once I've fleshed out that url interface to support
select/where/groupby/orderby, anybody who wants to get their AJAX on is welcome to do
so... Evan Wheeler (buddy of mine who was at boostcon) has a good eye and
knows quite a lot about these tools, and has started to play with the data.
He'll be hard to beat.

More as it comes in. Have to run... willing to start discussing how this thing
should look, what kinds of displays we need.

The client side of things is pretty stable at this point. Anybody
want to try to get a windows box to report some builds?

-t